Sunday 31 July 2011

Palmiers



I had these when I went to Majorca when I was about 10 and I couldn’t, for the life of me, remember what they were called.  Until I came across a picture of some.  And lo and behold!  I decided to make some myself.  I’ve only made these once (and I forgot to sprinkle sugar over them before putting them in the oven, hence why only the edges are brown and the rest of them look anaemic) but they tasted so good I think I’ll have to add them to my regulars.

Onto the recipe!
Ingredients:
·         Puff pastry
·         Sugar (I used granulated.  Not sure how well it would work with other types but it wouldn’t hurt to try!)

Heat oven to 200oC (400oF).  Sprinkle some sugar over your worktop (as you would do with flour, etc) and roll out the puff pastry until it is about a ¼ - ½ inch in thickness.  Sprinkle roughly the same amount of sugar over the top of the dough (you could add cinnamon, or some flavouring of some sort if you wanted).

Roll one of the longer sides inward until it hits the middle of the dough.  Do the same for the other side.  Both sides should meet and touch in the middle.  Let it chill for 30 mins in the fridge to firm it up, so that it is easier to cut.

After taking it out of the fridge, start cutting off slices that are about a ¼ - ½ inch thick.  If you don’t want anaemic palmiers like me, then sprinkle sugar onto both sides of the palmiers.  Press the sides of the rolls together so that they stay together whilst baking and place the palmiers onto baking trays lined in greaseproof paper.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they turn a nice, golden brown colour.  Cool on a wire rack before serving.

No comments: